This page contains a preview of Chapter 18 of RAFT 2035.
Copyright © 2020 David W. Wood. All rights reserved.
RAFT 2035 has been greatly improved due to comments, questions, and suggestions raised by a number of friends, colleagues, and people who share an interest in at least some of the same ideas.
Many thanks are due to: Anders Sandberg, Tony Czarnecki, Dan Elton, Jenina Bas, Mathieu Gosselin, Julian Snape, Alexander Karran, Yfke Laanstra, Thomas O’Carroll, Mark Waser, José Cordeiro, Dean Bubley, Calum Chace, Catarina Lamm, Johannon Ben Zion, Marc Roux, Andrew Vladimirov, Kim Solez, Simon Stiel, Peter Rothman, Corinne Coles, and Michael Arnell.
All errors and infelicities that remain are due to the lead author, David W. Wood.
In addition to thanking individuals, it’s appropriate to highlight a number of communities whose members and events have assisted in multiple ways in stimulating or advancing the thinking contained in RAFT 2035.
In each case, these communities are worth further attention. They all have activities relevant to multiple different RAFT 2035 goals:
- Humanity+: “An international nonprofit membership organisation that advocates the ethical use of technology, such as artificial intelligence, to expand human capacities. In other words, we want people to be better than well. This is the goal of transhumanism.”
- The IEET (Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies): “Formed to study and debate vital questions such as: Which technologies, especially new ones, are likely to have the greatest impact on human beings and human societies in the 21st century? And what ethical issues do those technologies and their applications raise for humans, our civilisation, and our world?”
- The Millennium Project: “A global foresight network of nodes, information, and software, functioning as a think tank on behalf of humanity, not on behalf of a government, an issue, or an ideology. Created to improve humanity’s prospects for building a better future”
- The World Future Society: “Our mission is to awaken the Futurist Mindset in everyone. Whether you’re focused on social impact, creating a disruptive business, or exploring exponential technology, we believe there is a futurist in each of us.”
- The Alternative UK: “Beneath the democratic deficit lies an imagination deficit. Our purpose is to catalyse a new politics that goes far beyond our current reality. We focus on engagement more than elections, on values over ideology, on futures that include, not exclude. We care about solutions, challenges – and great questions.”
- Nesta: “An innovation foundation. For us, innovation means turning bold ideas into reality. It also means changing lives for the better. We work in areas where there are big challenges facing society, from the frontiers of personalised healthcare to stretched public services and a fast-changing jobs market.”
- The RSA (Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce): “Through our ideas, research and a 30,000 strong Fellowship we are a global community of proactive problem solvers, sharing powerful ideas, carrying out cutting-edge research and building networks and opportunities for people to collaborate, influence and demonstrate practical solutions to realise change.”
- The US Transhumanist Party: “Putting science, health, and technology at the forefront of politics. We seek to achieve the next, greatest era of our civilisation, which will require constructive solutions to the problems of our current era. All of these problems can be solved if we look away from the political trench warfare of today and up toward a far brighter future.”
- London Futurists: “The next few years are likely to bring unprecedented change. Our mission is ‘Serious analysis of radical scenarios for the next 3-40 years.’ Our meetings and projects explore both the potential upsides, and the potential downsides, of these scenarios.”
For communities that are focused on smaller numbers of areas, see the “For Further Information” sections at the end of each of the main chapters in this book.
The cover design of this book incorporates photography by Pixabay member Couleur, used with gratitude!
<< Previous chapter << =====